10:54 AM

Is There A Problem, Officer?

Posted by Brooke |

I can already tell that physics is going to be the source of many blog posts.


An excerpt from my assigned reading yesterday:

"Suppose a police officer pulls you over and says, "I just clocked you going 80 miles per hour." You might respond, "But that's impossible. I've only been driving for 20 minutes, so I can't possibly have gone 80 miles." Unfortunately for you, the police officer was a physics major. He replies, "I mean that at the instant I measured your velocity, you were moving at a rate such that you would cover a distance of 80 miles if you were to continue at that velocity without change for 1 hour. That will be a $200 fine."

Don't you just hate those cops that major in physics?

Now for some fun facts:

One second is the time required for 9,192,631,770 oscillations of the radio wave absorbed by the cesium-133 atom.

The kilogram is the only SI unit still defined by a manufactured object.

There are approximately 1.5 million chickens in Cache Valley (This one has nothing to do with physics)

0 Wonderful Comments: